After the huge success of my last vegan ice cream recipe, and with the stifling heat this summer, I decided it was high time for another ice cream recipe. This time a little simpler. And so this vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream is born. This ice cream is perfectly creamy with delicious chunks of frozen peanut butter.
Oh but my vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream has a secret. Its creamy consistency doesn’t only stem from the coconut milk, but from the magical addition of…….(drum roll please)…… AVOCADO! Just 1/2 an avocado ups the fat content (healthy fats of course, no animal proteins here!) enough to create a creamy and delicious vegan ice cream with no added thickeners.
I have to admit, I’m not the biggest fan of avocado in desserts. I’ve definitely made some questionable tasting avocado puddings in my day. Not this vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream though. This ice cream is perfect because it contains just 1/2 of an avocado, which adds the perfect subtle undertones, healthy benefits, and creaminess without disrupting the flavor.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup unsweeteed almond milk
- 4 ounces chocolate bittersweet
- 1 Tbsp cacao (optional, makes it darker)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup sucanot sugar(or sub coconut sugar, brown sugar, or white)
- at least 1/2 cup peanut butter, preference based
- Heat almond milk until small bubbles form around the edges. While that is heating combine chocolate, cacao powder, coffee, and sugar in a blender or food processer and blend until the chocolate is in small pieces. Once milk is warm pour over chocolate mixture and blend again until completely melted and combined. Pour into a medium-large bowl and let cool.
- As that is cooling, combine coconut milk, avocado, and vanilla in the blender and blend. Pour over chocolate and whisk to combine. Cool in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- Place in ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions. In the last 5 minutes of churning drop in chunks of peanut butter OR layer in a container with ice cream and freeze.