Whaaaaat! Now that is a long title. And, it doesn’t even do them justice. These vegan lavender blackberry scones are amazing. They make for a fast and healthy treat that has just the right combination of flavors. With only 11 ingredients and 15 minutes baking time, you can have a warm, yummy, vegan scone in your mouth in no time.
For us, summer time means fresh fruit everywhere. I picked fresh wild blackberries to make these vegan lavender blackberry scones, and of course, the puppies had to help!
Want a scone you can feel good about eating?
I try to avoid using unhealthy or processed ingredients in my baking because I don’t like the way they make my body feel when I eat them. It is worth noting that I use olive oil instead of butter or canola oil in this recipe. In addition, they are maple syrup sweetened with no added sugar and the addition of hemp hearts. My vegan lavender blackberry scones also use a combination of whole wheat and spelt flour instead of processed white flour. Because of this, these scones really do make a healthy breakfast.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 Tablespoon hemp or flax
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lavender(or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 cup almond milk(or other non dairy milk) plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup maple syrup plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts(optional)
- Heat your oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, hemp or flax, and salt. Mix the oil in until it is well mixed and looks lumpy or grainy with no large chunks left.
- Pour in the almond milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Mix until nearly combined and add in the berries and nuts. Be careful not to over mix.
- Scoop out dough in 1/3 cup increments onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush with almond milk and drizzle lightly with maple syrup. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until they look golden brown on the bottom.
- Best eaten fresh out of the oven while still warm!